ArtSpan’s Juried Benefit Art Auction
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, February 14, 11:59pm
Rolling Artist Notifications Begin: Monday, February 26
All Final Artist Notifications Received: Friday, March 2
Artwork Drop-off: Saturday, March 17, 12pm-4pm
Auction Preview: Thursday, March 22, 6-8pm
Auction Event: Saturday, March 24, 6:30-10pm (VIP at 5:30pm)
ArtSpan's juried Benefit Art Auction will take place at SOMArts Cultural Center on March 24, 2018. This is our most popular fundraiser with over 500 avid art collectors in attendance each year! It is a wonderful opportunity to showcase your artwork to prominent jurors in the art and design field, to new potential collectors, and a vast range of art enthusiasts. Most of all, contributing your art is a meaningful way for you to support the work that ArtSpan does to cultivate connections within our creative community.
The funds from this event serve all of ArtSpan’s year-round programing, including SF Open Studios, Youth Open Studios, community engagement activities, artist professional development workshops, artist networking events, Art-in-Neighborhoods exhibitions, and Art Curious collector education events.
Most importantly, this year's Auction will also benefit the fundraising efforts towards the creation of ArtSpan’s Onondaga Art Center, which will serve San Francisco artists and residents with art studios, a community meeting space, a classroom, a resource center and a collaborative art gallery. We need to raise $1,000,000 to support the development and creation of this project. Together we can do it, and your artwork submission is an amazing step in this direction.
Artists whose work is selected will receive complimentary general admission to the event (1 general ticket for the artist). Guests of artists must purchase tickets to the event (ticket sales launch mid-February). Artists who are selected for the Live Auction will be offered two VIP tickets.
Artists who donate artwork that is valued at $1,500 or more will receive two complimentary VIP tickets to the event! Although, higher valued artworks are encouraged, appropriately priced medium-sized artworks will be preferred for selection by the jury.
Please note that any artwork remaining unsold after the final section closings may be selected for the “Rapid-Sale-Rally”, with starting bids below our standard minimum bid of 30% of value. This is a mini live auction that reinvigorates the crowd for more bidding as guests continue to enjoy the excitement of the evening. You will have the opportunity to opt out of this feature in the submission application.
Open to all current ArtSpan Artist Members
All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years
Artwork minimum value is $300 (bidding will start at approximately 1/3 of the artwork value)
Entries are accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, assemblage, fabric, jewelry, ceramic, furniture, and glass
One entry per artist
All image files for the entry should be submitted in JPEG or TIFF formatAll image files must be titled with the following format: LastName_FirstName_title_height(inches)_x_width(inches).jpg
Artist must provide a 50 word promotional statement to describe and sell the piece of artwork submitted. Statements should describe the specific process or a noteworthy story to be shared in the Auction Artwork Catalogue and via social media.
Artist must complete their ArtSpan Artist Profile with images and contact information (ArtSpan will link to this information in all Auction promotions)
ArtSpan reserves the right to use images of accepted artwork for promotional use online and in print for the Auction
Artwork must be READY TO HANG: framed, pre-assembled, with appropriate hardware (wire and d-rings, etc.)
Artwork must be labeled with the artist's name and the title of the piece
Artwork that has been donated previously
Artwork that is not mounted professionally and ready to hang/display
Artwork that is damaged
*ArtSpan reserves the right to decline artwork after drop off, if we feel it was not well represented in the jury image.*
Selected artists will have the option to donate 100% of the artwork sale price to ArtSpan, or to receive 15% of the artwork sale price.
Artists may request bidder information from their artwork bid sheet after the auction.
AUCTIONEER & JURORS: To be announced..!
ArtSpan is committed to cultivating a vibrant, accessible, and world-class art community in San Francisco and to promoting the city's unique creative energy locally and globally. We champion an inclusive art experience by providing hundreds of local artists with the equal opportunity to showcase their work and make direct connections to diverse audiences and patrons. We are guided by the belief that artists play a vital role in society and that broad public engagement with their work is essential to defining a new cultural environment for our changing city.
ArtSpan is seeking 3–4 current ArtSpan Artist Members to participate.
Dates and Details:
- Location: Mission Bowling Club, 3176 17th Street, SF, CA 94110
- Exhibition Dates: March 6–May 29, 2018
- Submissions Deadline: Sunday, February 4, 11:59pm
- Artist Notifications: Monday, February 19, 2018
- Artwork Drop-off Date: Tuesday, March 6, 10am
- Opening Reception/Artist Mixer: Date TBD
- Artwork Pick-up Date: Tuesday, May 29, 10am-12pm
- Seeking: Large format, colorful paintings or mixed media work for wall hanging.
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with the appropriate hardware (hooks and wire).
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist received 80% of total sales. ArtSpan received 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan and MBC staff members in the most safe and secure manner possible. All MBC staff and patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
- Location: The Marker Hotel, 501 Geary Street, SF, CA 94102
- Exhibition Dates: February 27, 2018–May 22, 2018
- Submissions Deadline: Sunday, February 4, 2018, 11:59pm
- Artist Notifications: Wednesday, February 14, 2018
- Artwork Drop-off/Install Date: Tuesday, February 27, 10:00am
- Opening Reception/Artist Mixer: Date TBA
- Artwork Pick-up: Tuesday, May 23, 10:00am-12pm
- Seeking: Large format artwork. Some medium-sized work accepted. No works under 24"x24".
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with the appropriate hardware (hooks and wire).
- Installation: ArtSpan's installation team will manage the install after artwork is dropped off.
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist receives 80% of total sales. ArtSpan receives 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan and hotel staff members in the most safe and secure manner possible. All hotel staff and patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SUBMISSIONS: ArtSpan Studio Residency Program at the Journal Building:
In September of 2015, ArtSpan launched the Journal Building Studio Residency program to offer below market-rate studio spaces for a seven-month residency program at the Journal Building at 1540 Market Street. Upon completing this successful seven-month experience with a talented and productive group of artists, our lease at the Journal Building has been extended for month-to-month rental.
Studio space is offered to select artists with a project-based need for working space, those who have recently been displaced from their San Francisco studios, and artists who have never had a studio (outside of home or school). Journal Building resident artists are expected to contribute as cooperative members of the residency, to attend monthly meetings, and to complete volunteer hours for ArtSpan.
Please see below for residency details, requirements, and submission instructions. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. ArtSpan staff will communicate within two weeks of your application submission.
WHAT: Studio Residency Spaces at the Journal Building
- Space: Individually demised spaces within an open floor plan
- Cost: $175-300/month, varying according to size
- Includes: Community Space for exhibitions, workshops, critiques, community meetings
- End product: SF Open Studios Participation
WHEN: Available on a rolling basis
- Month-to-month rental contract (minimum 2 months)
WHO: Current ArtSpan Artists ($50 annual membership).
The ideal candidates will fall within one or more of these three categories:
- Project-based space need
- Recently displaced from their San Francisco studio
- Have never before had a studio outside of home or school
- Must be a current ArtSpan Artist Member ($50 annual)
- Must be pursuing artistic practice as a profession
- Must dedicate an average of 20 hours/week to work within the studio space
- Must donate 5 hours/month volunteer work to ArtSpan
- Managing events or public hours of operation at Journal Building studios
- SF Open Studios Exhibition Gallery Sitting
- ArtSpan Public Engagement Events
- ArtSpan office duties
- ArtSpan Outreach Committee work
- Must be a responsible and collaborative member of the space and help to enforce the studio/building rules
Building/Studio Details and Rules:
- Artists MUST vacate the studio by the designated date written in the residency agreement. The building owners will impose a $30,000 monthly fine for overstaying the lease.
- Building access available 24/7. Hours for non-tenant access 7am-10pm.
- Guests must be accompanied by a tenant at all times.
- No residing/living on premises.
- No furniture of any kind provided by ArtSpan. Studios are unfurnished.
- No subleasing.
- No WiFi provided by ArtSpan. The artist will need to provide his/her own WiFi hot spot for personal access, OR contribute funds to join the WiFi plan procured by existing Journal Building artists.
- No space heaters, heating or cooking appliances allowed within individual units.
- Art Mediums: Must be NON-TOXIC and minimal impact. The Residencies at the Journal Building will strive to follow industry best practices wherever and whenever possible with the goal of ZERO impact on residents and the environment. Allowable materials and acceptable handling and disposal practices subject to change. Changes will be posted in general areas and distributed to individual studios as they occur.
- NO toxic paint thinners, no photo fixatives, no resin, no fire, no encaustic, no aerosol, no sawing (large amounts of dust).
- Ideal for: Acrylic paint, watercolor paint, drawing, assemblage, printmaking, pen & ink, digital media, clay.
- All material waste must be disposed of responsibly in the proper disposal receptacles on site, or removed from the studio site for proper disposal.
DEADLINE - Applications accepted on a rolling basis. ArtSpan staff will communicate within two weeks of your application submission.
- 5 images of artwork similar to what you will be working on at the residency
- Artist Story/Appeal:
- Artist bio/resume/CV, history as an artist
- How many years have you been an ArtSpan artist?
- Submissions Category:
- Displaced? - Tell us when and why you were displaced. How did that affect your life and art practice?
- Artist who has never had a studio outside of home or school? - Tell us why it is important for you to have this space.
- Project Based Need? - Tell us about the project, including your timeframe and work plan, and why you need the space.
- Is your work or practice community focused? Please explain.
- Why is creating in San Francisco important to you?
Artist Selection: A committee consisting of ArtSpan staff, ArtSpan board, and ArtSpan community partners will review all applications. Artists who are admitted past the first round of reviews will be contacted for an in-person interview with ArtSpan staff and Journal Building resident artists.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Thank you!- The ArtSpan Team