ArtSpan seeks art for display at Ritual Coffee Roasters Valencia Street location. Ritual Coffee has been a pioneer in coffee consciousness since 2005, and started what some call a coffee revolution in San Francisco. The Ritual cafe on Valencia Street is a bustling venue with beautiful open wall space, high ceilings, exposed rafters for ceiling hung works, and plenty of natural light. Countless patrons of the Mission neighborhoods visit this trendy spot all day long.
- Exhibiting artists receive 80% of any sales made
- All exhibited artworks will be featured in ArtSpan's online gallery and regularly promoted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- You must be a current or new ArtSpan Artist Member to be featured in this exhibition
Dates and Details:
- Location: Ritual Coffee, 1026 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
- Exhibition Dates: June 23 - August 31, 2021
- Submissions Deadline: Sunday, June 13, 2021 @ 11:59pm
- Artist Notifications: Monday, June 14, 2020 @ 12:00pm
- Artwork Drop-off/Install Date: Thursday, June 23, 2020 @ 4:30pm
- Artist Reception: Thursday, July 22, 2021 from 6:30 - 7:30pm *Artists must be available to participate in the virtual reception via Zoom & prepared to speak about their work and process
- Artwork Pick-up Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 @ 4:30pm
- Seeking: Artwork of all sizes and 2-D mediums. Large walls can accommodate very large work, and there is some possibility for site-specific installation.
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with the appropriate hardware (hooks and wire). Cleats and shark-tooth hanging hardware cannot be accommodated.
- Installation: ArtSpan's installation team will manage the install after artwork is dropped off.
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist receives 80% of total sales. ArtSpan receives 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan staff members in the safest and secure manner possible. All venue staff and patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
To Submit: Complete the following questionnaire and submit at least 5 artworks that are ready to hang, according to the instructions provided.
About the Art-in-Neighborhoods Program: The Art-In-Neighborhoods program strives to create visibility and accessibility for local arts in San Francisco by connecting communities with local artists and activating vacant spaces with vibrant, locally-made artwork. We partner with local businesses and building owners to bring pop-up art exhibitions and art events to dormant storefronts, empty spaces for lease, and businesses seeking artwork for their walls. Local artists who are ArtSpan members are given the opportunity to display, promote, and sell their artwork in these diverse venues. The Art-in-Neighborhoods program allows otherwise unused properties/spaces to become creative arenas for celebrating local arts.
Excelsior Art Initiative: Summer Window Displays + ArtWalk
Call for Artists
ArtSpan’s Excelsior Art Initiative (EAI) supports small businesses and local artists, and spotlights the vibrant creativity of one of San Francisco’s most diverse neighborhoods. Using art as a vehicle for community engagement, EAI partners artists with small businesses operating along the Excelsior’s Mission Street Corridor to creatively augment their venues.
6-10 Selected artists will collaborate with business-owners to create custom installations highlighting the venue and the energy of the community. Participating artists will receive a stipend in exchange for their labor and supplies. These innovative installations will take the form of temporary window displays to reinvigorate small businesses and celebrate the neighborhood. Interested artists are highly encouraged to review past installations at artspanart.org/eai.
Each business will have unique parameters for artwork. Many will be limited to 2-D work on the windows themselves. Some have opportunities for 3-D installations. Venue partnerships include a wide and diverse array of cafes, community/health centers, and small businesses specializing in food, fashion, and beauty. You can view a set of sample windows by >>clicking here<<; please note that these images are purely examples and do not necessarily portray secured locations. Artists will be expected to collaborate with business owners to arrive at a final design.
Previously successful applicants have presented art that engages residents and passersby, are reflective of the local community, and are flexible to install around existing window signage/vinyl/elements while still allowing visitors to peer into the space.
As ArtSpan anticipates our move to the Excelsior neighborhood, we are thrilled by the opportunity to partner with artists and businesses to enliven the streets with local art.
Installations are intended to remain on-view for a duration of 3 months (from mid-July through October, 2021). Artists should be prepared to participate in all accompanying events (see below dates) and to be in close communication with their partnered small business.
DATES AND DETAILS
Application deadline: June 27, 2021 @ 11:59pm
Notifications: Week of June 28, 2021
Installation: July 19 & July 20 (to be scheduled with businesses)
Artwalk and Community Celebration: August 21, 2021
Deinstall: Week of October 18, 2021 (to be scheduled with businesses)
Applicants must have a current or new ArtSpan Artist Membership to be eligible to submit. Renew or join as a member VIA THIS LINK.
Selected artists will receive a stipend of $1,000–$1500 (depending on the size and intricacy of the installation) to cover materials and labor.
- CONCEPT IMAGES: Submit up to 5 images from your body of work that reflect the style or content you would apply to the window displays. Include a mock up of how it might look installed in the window of an active business.
- DIMENSIONAL PREFERENCES: Indicate whether you would like to create 2-D or 3-D work, or if you are open to either.
- PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE: Have you executed similar projects in the past? Indicate if you have experience working with businesses, and if you have experience with the materials that will be required to execute your design. Provide images or links to previously created artwork.
- EXECUTION PLAN: Describe how you plan to execute the design. Will you be working with a team of artists? Provide a rough materials list.
- SIZE PARAMETERS: Artists may indicate their preferred installation size (from 25 sq ft (5’x5’) to 144 sq ft (12’x12’)); however, each installation space will be assigned to its artist (or team).
- DESCRIPTION OF DESIGN CONCEPT (required): How do you think your work will create an engaging experience for residents and visitors to the Excelsior?
*Please submit only one concept per application. Artists may submit multiple applications for separate concepts.*
Artists should prioritize designs that can be installed and removed without significant impact on the walls or windows of the business. All materials must be non-toxic and safe for environments where there is food being served.
All participating businesses will be located along Mission Street in the Excelsior. Each store's windows are unique so designs should be adaptable to multiple formats, although the selection committee will do their best to match designs with appropriate businesses.
ArtSpan’s call-for-entry is open to registered ArtSpan Artist Members, to other Bay Area artist communities, and to the general public. Non-member artists must join as ArtSpan Members to be eligible to apply for this opportunity ($50 annual membership with year-round benefits). CLICK HERE for details and to join.
6-10 ArtSpan artists will be selected based upon the feasibility of their proposal in relation to the participating businesses. The selection committee will also take into account their experience executing public installations (experience is preferred, but not required), and upon their proposed concept and its relation to the community.
The installation of the window displays (July 19 & July 20) will be scheduled individually between the Artist and the business to accommodate both the needs of the business and the artist.
ArtSpan will promote the project, the selected artists, and the related event to its 14,000+ constituents and the greater public via postcards, eNewsletters, social media, and other press outlets.
The selected artists will be responsible for their own general liability insurance. Artists and their teams will not be considered employees of ArtSpan, and will not receive workers’ compensation nor other insurance from ArtSpan.
QUESTIONS? Contact email@example.com