Excelsior Window Displays + Artwalk
Call for Artists
ArtSpan is seeking artists who make installations or artwork suitable for display in the front windows of active businesses located on the Mission Street business corridor in the Excelsior district to submit designs for a temporary window installation project to enliven storefront windows.
Approximately 6-10 artists (and/or artist teams) will be selected to manifest their designs that will celebrate art, the neighborhood, and community spirit during the month of August to celebrate the summer season. Selected artists will be matched with a business in which they will implement their vision.
As an artist focused arts organization (1,200+ Artist Members) ArtSpan understands the importance of community in supporting and making space for local art and artists. As we anticipate our move to the Excelsior neighborhood, we are thrilled by the opportunity to partner with artists and businesses to support healthy and holistic enrichment of the neighborhood.
ArtSpan’s objective in the proposed Window Displays and Art Walk celebration is to reach the Excelsior community and build connections with the neighborhood in advance of moving into our new permanent Art Center at 45 Onondaga, just a block off of the Mission Street commercial corridor. We hope that facilitating original window displays created by local artists will highlight the significant presence of artists in the neighborhood and strengthen relationships between participating artists, business owners, and ArtSpan. Further, it will visually brightens the corridor, drawing traffic to participating businesses as well as to the district as a whole.
DATES AND DETAILS
Application deadline: June 26, 2019 @ 11:59pm
Notifications: Week of July 7, 2019
Installation: Week of June 29, 2019 (to be scheduled with businesses)
Artwalk and Community Celebration: August 3, 2019, 1–4pm
Deinstall: Week of September 2, 2019
Applicants must have a current or new ArtSpan Artist Membership to be eligible to submit. Renew or join as a member VIA THIS LINK.
Selected artists will receive a stipend of $300 in Blick gift cards to cover material costs, and an additional $1,000–$1500 (depending on the size and intricacy of the installation) to cover additional materials and labor.
Artists should prioritize designs that can be installed and removed without significant impact on the walls or windows of the business. All materials must be non-toxic and safe for environments where there is food being served.
- DESIGN IMAGES: Artists will be asked to submit up to 5 images illustrating their design concept using sketches, mock-ups, or artwork samples (digital or hand rendered).
- SIZE PARAMETERS: Artists may indicate their preferred installation size (from 25 sq ft (5’x15’) to 144 sq ft (12’x12’)), however, each installation space will be assigned to its artist (or team) by the artwork selection committee.
- DESCRIPTION OF DESIGN CONCEPT: Explain how your imagery is engaging and reflective of your work, and how/why it will create an engaging experience for residents and visitors to the Excelsior.
- PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE: Provide images or links to previously created artwork, exemplifying the skill level required to execute a medium-scale installation. Artist resumes and/or descriptions of experience may be submitted.
- EXECUTION PLAN: Describe how you plan to execute the design. Will you be working with a team of artists? Provide a rough materials list.
*Please submit only one concept per application. Artists may submit multiple applications for separate concepts.*
All participating businesses will be located on Mission Street between Silver and Geneva. Each store's windows are unique so designs should be adaptable to multiple formats, although the selection committee will do their best to match designs with appropriate businesses.
ArtSpan’s call for entry is open to its 1,000+ Artist Members, to other Bay Area artist communities, and to the general public. Non-member artists must join as ArtSpan Members to be eligible to apply for this opportunity ($50 annual membership with year-round benefits). CLICK HERE for details and to join.
6-10 ArtSpan artists will be selected based upon the feasibility of their proposal in relation to the participating businesses. The selection committee will also take into account their experience executing public installations (experience is preferred, but not required), and upon their proposed concept and its relation to the community.
The installation of the window displays (Monday July 29 - Friday, August 2) will be scheduled individually between the Artist and the business to accommodate both the needs of the business and the artist.
ArtSpan will promote the mural project, the selected artists, and the unveiling event to its 14,000+ constituents and the greater public via eNewsletters, social media, and other press outlets.
The selected artists will be held responsible to provide their own general liability insurance. Artists and their teams will not be considered employees of ArtSpan, and will not receive workers’ compensation nor other insurance from ArtSpan.
QUESTIONS? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: ArtSpan Studio Residency Program at xSpace:
In September of 2018, ArtSpan launched 3 artist studios on the commercial corridor at Mission Street and Geneva as part of our partnership with Youth Art Exchange (YAX) that has created this pop-up art space in the Excelsior neighborhood. The Studio Residency program offers a below market-rate studio space at the former site of Chuck's Market at 5137 Mission Street.
One Studio is now available.
Studio space is offered to artists who have an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange. xSpace resident artists are expected to contribute as cooperative members of the residency, and to communicate reliably with ArtSpan staff.
Please see below for residency details, requirements, and submission instructions.
If you have questions, or are interested in viewing the spaces, please email Lee@artspan.org.
WHERE: 5137 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA, 94112
WHAT: Studio Residency Spaces at xSpace
- Space: Individually divided space within an open floor plan on a commercial corridor (approximately 100 square feet each)
- Cost: $325/month
- Includes: Access to a small kitchenette and community meeting space.
- Includes: Opportunity to curate/show your work in addition to required participation in SF Open Studios
- ArtSpan reserves the right to terminate the contract as deemed necessary.
WHO: Current ArtSpan Artists ($50 annual membership).
The ideal candidates has an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange (YAX).
Full Artist Requirements:
- Must be a current ArtSpan Artist Member ($50 annual)
- Must be pursuing artistic practice as a profession
- Must dedicate an average of 20 hours/week to work within the studio space
- Must be a responsible and collaborative member of the space and help to enforce the studio/building rules
- Will curate/participate in one show in the space coinciding with an ArtSpan event in the neighborhood
- Will Participate with SF Open Studios Fall 2020 ($80 Participating Artist Registration)
- Will host one workshop for YAX program participants as part of the Youth Open Studios Program.
HOW: Building/Studio Details and Rules:
- Artists must submit information for a background check.
- Artists MUST vacate the studio by the designated date written in the residency agreement. ArtSpan will impose a $10,000 monthly fine for overstaying the lease.
- Building access available to artists 24/7. Hours for non-tenant access 7am-10pm.
- Guests must be accompanied by a tenant at all times.
- No residing/living on premises.
- No furniture of any kind provided by ArtSpan. Studios are unfurnished.
- No subleasing.
- WiFi provided by Youth Art Exchange
- No space heaters, heating or cooking appliances allowed within individual units.
- Art Mediums: Must be minimal impact. The artists will strive to follow industry best practices wherever and whenever possible with the goal of ZERO impact on residents and the environment. Allowable materials and acceptable handling and disposal practices subject to change. Changes will be posted in general areas and distributed to individual studios as they occur.
- NO no photo fixatives, no resin, no fire, no encaustic, no aerosol, no sawing (large amounts of dust).
- Ideal for: Oil paint, acrylic paint, watercolor paint, drawing, assemblage, printmaking, pen & ink, digital media, clay.
- All material waste must be disposed of responsibly in the proper disposal receptacles on site, or removed from the studio site for proper disposal.
- 5 images of artwork similar to what you will be working on at the residency
- Artist Story/Appeal
- Artist bio/resume/CV, history as an artist
- How many years have you been an ArtSpan artist?
- Why are you seeking studios space with ArtSpan at xSpace?
- Is your work or practice community focused? Please explain.
- Do you have interest or experience working with or alongside youth artists?
- Why is creating in San Francisco important to you?
Artist Selection: A committee consisting of ArtSpan staff will review all applications. Artists who are admitted past the first round of reviews will be contacted for an in-person interview with ArtSpan staff.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
The ArtSpan Team
Ferment Drink Repeat is an art-friendly, community-focused brewery and tap room serving innovative, exciting, top-quality handcrafted products to the beer lovers of the city. Located in the Portola Neighborhood, they are also a premier homebrew supply shop, fostering collaborative endeavors across the amateur and professional brewing spectrum.
You must be a current or new ArtSpan Artist Member who is registered for 2019 SF Open Studios to be featured in this exhibition. This particular exhibition will act as a Hub site during SF Open Studios and be a space where neighbors can view art and be inspired to visit studios in their city. Each artist selected for the exhibition will display one piece of art that will be accompanied by information about their Open Studio.
Dates and Details:
- Location: Ferment Drink Repeat Brewery and Tap Room, 2636 San Bruno Avenue, SF, CA 94134
- Exhibition Dates: August 13–November 19, 2019
- Submissions Deadline: Sunday, July 7, 11:59pm
- Artist Notifications: Week of July 22, 2019
- Artwork Drop-off/Install Date: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 @11am
- Artist Reception: Date TBA
- Artwork Pick-up Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 @11am
- Seeking: Artwork of all sizes and 2-D mediums
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with the appropriate hardware (hooks and wire).
- Installation: ArtSpan's installation team will manage the install after artwork is dropped off.
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist receives 80% of total sales. ArtSpan receives 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan and venue staff members in the most safe and secure manner possible. All venue staff and patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
To Submit: Complete the following questionnaire and submit at least 5 artworks that are ready to hang, according the the instructions provided.