CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: ArtSpan Studio Residency Program at xSpace:
In September of 2018, ArtSpan launched 3 artist studios on the commercial corridor at Mission Street and Geneva as part of our partnership with Youth Art Exchange (YAX) that has created this pop-up art space in the Excelsior neighborhood. The Studio Residency program offers a below market-rate studio space at the former site of Chuck's Market at 5137 Mission Street.
One Studio is now available.
Studio space is offered to artists who have an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange. xSpace resident artists are expected to contribute as cooperative members of the residency, and to communicate reliably with ArtSpan staff.
Please see below for residency details, requirements, and submission instructions.
If you have questions, or are interested in viewing the spaces, please email Lee@artspan.org.
WHERE: 5137 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA, 94112
WHAT: Studio Residency Spaces at xSpace
- Space: Individually divided space within an open floor plan on a commercial corridor (approximately 100 square feet each)
- Cost: $325/month
- Includes: Access to a small kitchenette and community meeting space.
- Includes: Opportunity to curate/show your work in addition to required participation in SF Open Studios
- ArtSpan reserves the right to terminate the contract as deemed necessary.
WHO: Current ArtSpan Artists ($50 annual membership).
The ideal candidates has an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange (YAX).
Full Artist Requirements:
- Must be a current ArtSpan Artist Member ($50 annual)
- Must be pursuing artistic practice as a profession
- Must dedicate an average of 20 hours/week to work within the studio space
- Must be a responsible and collaborative member of the space and help to enforce the studio/building rules
- Will curate/participate in one show in the space coinciding with an ArtSpan event in the neighborhood
- Will Participate with SF Open Studios Fall 2020 ($80 Participating Artist Registration)
- Will host one workshop for YAX program participants as part of the Youth Open Studios Program.
HOW: Building/Studio Details and Rules:
- Artists must submit information for a background check.
- Artists MUST vacate the studio by the designated date written in the residency agreement. ArtSpan will impose a $10,000 monthly fine for overstaying the lease.
- Building access available to artists 24/7. Hours for non-tenant access 7am-10pm.
- Guests must be accompanied by a tenant at all times.
- No residing/living on premises.
- No furniture of any kind provided by ArtSpan. Studios are unfurnished.
- No subleasing.
- WiFi provided by Youth Art Exchange
- No space heaters, heating or cooking appliances allowed within individual units.
- Art Mediums: Must be minimal impact. The artists will strive to follow industry best practices wherever and whenever possible with the goal of ZERO impact on residents and the environment. Allowable materials and acceptable handling and disposal practices subject to change. Changes will be posted in general areas and distributed to individual studios as they occur.
- NO no photo fixatives, no resin, no fire, no encaustic, no aerosol, no sawing (large amounts of dust).
- Ideal for: Oil paint, acrylic paint, watercolor paint, drawing, assemblage, printmaking, pen & ink, digital media, clay.
- All material waste must be disposed of responsibly in the proper disposal receptacles on site, or removed from the studio site for proper disposal.
- 5 images of artwork similar to what you will be working on at the residency
- Artist Story/Appeal
- Artist bio/resume/CV, history as an artist
- How many years have you been an ArtSpan artist?
- Why are you seeking studios space with ArtSpan at xSpace?
- Is your work or practice community focused? Please explain.
- Do you have interest or experience working with or alongside youth artists?
- Why is creating in San Francisco important to you?
Artist Selection: A committee consisting of ArtSpan staff will review all applications. Artists who are admitted past the first round of reviews will be contacted for an in-person interview with ArtSpan staff.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
The ArtSpan Team
Call for Entry: AMPLIFY
The SF Open Studios Campaign & Guide Cover 2019
ArtSpan is hosting an open call for artwork submissions inspired by the theme of AMPLIFY. For the first time in ArtSpan's 43 year history of working with artists, creatives, and community partners to present SF Open Studios, we are working to create and develop a an art center to call our home -- a solid platform from which to increase our efforts and impact. The ArtSpan Onondaga Art Center, located in the heart of the Excelsior neighborhood, will feature artist studios, a community meeting space, a collaborative gallery, a resource center, and more. Having this space will allow ArtSpan to elaborate on the organization’s strong history to create something with a far deeper and broader reach into the community. We are poised to increase the consistency and importance of meaningful in-person connections between artists and the public as we push our role in the San Francisco art scene to the next level.
For the SF Open Studios Campaign and Guide Cover Competition 2019, artists will be asked to think creatively upon the theme of AMPLIFY, and to submit artworks that embody the idea of clarifying through expansion. We encourage applicants to explore the concepts around strengthening, enlarging, and extending. Please consider how this theme relates to art in San Francisco and SF Open Studios.
The winning artwork will be used for the 2019 SF Open Studios Campaign, including cover artwork for the Guide (a full-color, 170+ page catalog with 20,000 print run), as well as promotional advertising in various publications, outdoor advertising, print and online broadcasts, and other promotional vehicles. Four finalists will be selected to be featured within the Guide for each weekend of SF Open Studios.
SF Open Studios 2019 - Four Weekends: Click here to see the schedule and map.
• Open to current ArtSpan Members (Please login to check your status: https://www.artspan.org/user/login)
• If you are not a current ArtSpan Member, follow this link to learn more and register for the $50 annual membership: https://www.artspan.org/artist-membership)
• If selected, the Guide cover winner and the finalists must participate in SF Open Studios 2018 (see below for registration fee details in Awards section).
• All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years.
• Collaborations are accepted.
• Work must not have been used for print material purposes (other than to promote the work of artist).
• If selected, the Guide cover winning artwork must be available for viewing during the SF Open Studios Exhibition in October-November 2019 at SOMArts Cultural Center.
• Entries will be accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and assemblage.
• One entry per artist.
• Artist statement of originality – 150 words describing what inspired the piece.
• Art must be submitted in vertical orientation (the final size of Guide is 6" wide X 10.875" tall).
• Artwork that is wider than it is tall will not be eligible due to restrictions of artwork use; however, you are welcome to crop the image of your artwork so that it appears vertically.
• All image files for the initial entry should be submitted in JPEG format. Maximum 5MB.
• All image files must be titled with artist’s last name and first name (ex: SmithJane.jpg)
• If chosen, artist must provide a high resolution image appropriate for print: 300 dpi image at least 8 inches wide in CMYK. Artist will be responsible for additional photography that may be required to meet print quality standards.
• One Guide cover artwork and four finalists will be selected. The artwork of the four finalists will appear within the Guide at the start of each weekend section.
• The winning submission for the Guide cover will be awarded $500 in cash and prizes, and a complimentary Premier Registration for SF Open Studios 2019.
• Finalists will be awarded complimentary Premier Registration for SF Open Studios 2019.
• Finalists and Guide Cover winner will be featured in the Guide and in our online promotional materials and PR efforts.
Entry Deadline: Sunday, June 9, 11:59pm
Cover Winner & Finalist Notification: Friday, June 14
Guide Release: mid-September 2019
SF Open Studios 2018 Schedule: https://artspan.org/join-sf-open-studios
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SAMPLE RELEASE OF ARTWORK (for selected artists):
By submitting/signing this form and artwork image, I, the artist whose name is listed, hereby grant ArtSpan & SF Open Studios, the ArtSpan board, and contractors an unlimited, non-exclusive and irrevocable license the right to use and display my name, photograph(s) and corresponding caption(s) (“Artwork”) in all forms and media and in all manners and to make and distribute, and authorize the making, display and distribution of, reproductions for the ArtSpan SF Open Studios 2018 Guide and promotions as well as for any other ArtSpan purpose, including promotional materials. I acknowledge that a digital version of the Artwork will be used for said purpose.
I also acknowledge that if the ArtSpan and panel of jurors selects my Artwork for publication, ArtSpan may modify, crop or edit the Artwork, including any written material, in its sole discretion. Shall my Artwork be chosen for the cover competition, I will make Artwork available for additional digital photography for use in the organization’s promotional purpose for the 2018 Guide and all promotional materials.
I hereby warrant that I created the Artwork submitted and own all rights to the Artwork. I agree to indemnify and hold ArtSpan harmless from any losses and liabilities (including attorney’s fees) for any copyright infringement or any other claims arising out of ArtSpan’s selection or use of my Artwork. I agree that I will not make any claims against the organization arising out of its use of my Artwork and that I am not entitled to any compensation for the use of my name or Artwork. I waive my right to inspect or approve ArtSpan publications or reproductions of my Artwork, including any written material that may be created in connection therewith.
I am at least 18 years old. I have read this release and am fully familiar with its contents.