ArtSpan’s Juried Benefit Art Auction 2020
Deadline: Sunday, February 09, 11:59pm
Rolling Artist Notifications Begin: Tuesday, February 18
All Final Artist Notifications Received: Tuesday, February 25
Artwork Drop-off: Sunday, March 15, 12-5pm
Benefactor Preview: Thursday, March 19, 6:30-9:30pm
Auction Event: Saturday, March 21, 6:30-9:30pm | VIP Hour 5:30-6:30pm
The 2020 Auction is a two-night affair!
Last year’s double-header event was a huge success. We listened to the feedback from patrons and artists, and this year will be even better. All accepted artwork will be displayed at our Benefactor Preview, ensuring that your work will be seen by our biggest art patrons.
THURSDAY, MARCH 19
6:30–9:00pm | Limited to 100 guests.
An exclusive opportunity, limited to Benefactor Members and our most devoted patrons, to view and purchase Auction art at Buy-it-Now prices before anyone else. Attendees will enjoy leisurely viewing in an elegant setting, with food, drinks and entertainment.
Guests are invited to return for ArtSpan’s Benefit Art Auction on Saturday, March 21
SATURDAY, MARCH 21
ARTSPAN BENEFIT ART AUCTION
6:30–9:30pm | VIP Hour @ 5:30-6:30pm
A festive and fast paced night to support art and artists in San Francisco!
This year's Auction will continue our fundraising efforts for the creation of ArtSpan’s Onondaga Art Center. We need to raise $1,000,000 to support the development and creation of this project, which will serve San Francisco artists and residents with art studios, a community meeting space, a classroom, a resource center, and a collaborative art gallery. Donating work to the auction marks your contribution to building a vibrant new arts hub to support artists like you living and working in the Bay Area.
Together these events are a wonderful opportunity to showcase your artwork to prominent jurors in the art and design field, to new potential collectors, and to a vast range of art enthusiasts. Most of all, contributing your art is a meaningful way for you to support the work that ArtSpan does to cultivate connections within our creative community.
In addition to our capital campaign for the ArtSpan Onondaga Art Center, funds from these events serve all of ArtSpan’s year-round programming, including SF Open Studios, Youth Open Studios, community engagement activities, artist professional development workshops, artist networking events, Art-In-Neighborhoods exhibitions, and Art Curious collector education events.
- All selected artwork will be exhibited at the Benefactor event on March 19. Art may be sold and taken by the buyer that night. By submitting your work, you accept that your art may be sold on March 19 and not on view for the event on March 21. All work will be featured and promoted online.
BENEFITS + TICKETS:
All artists with work selected for the juried Benefit Art Auction events will receive complimentary general admission to the Benefit Art Auction on Saturday, March 21 (1 ticket for the artist). Guests of artists must purchase tickets to the event (ticket sales launch mid-February).
Artists who are selected for the Live Auction, or whose work is valued at $1,500 or more will receive two complimentary VIP tickets to the Benefit Art Auction on Saturday, March 21. VIPs have access to early admission at 5:30pm, complimentary champagne, and express VIP check-in and check-out.
Artists whose work is selected for the Benefactor Preview Live Auction on Thursday, March 19, will receive one complimentary ticket to the Benefactor Preview event.
All selected artists will be recognized in the 2020 SF Open Studios Printed Guide.
All selected artists will be included in our promotional campaigns.
Post-Auction Online Sales
Any artwork that remains unsold after the Benefit Art Auction will be available for sale online for the week following the auction.
ELIGIBILITY and TIPS:
- Open to all current ArtSpan Artist Members
- CLICK HERE to login and renew your membership
- CLICK HERE to join as a new member
- All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years
- Artwork minimum value is $300 (bidding will start at approximately 1/3 of the artwork value)
Although high valued artworks are encouraged, appropriately priced, medium-sized artworks will be preferred for selection by the jury.
Please note there are two events, the Benefactor Preview on Thursday, March 19, and the Benefit Art Auction on Saturday, March 21. All selected artworks will be exhibited at the Benefactor event on March 19th. Art may be sold and taken by the buyer that night. By submitting your work, you accept that your art may be sold on March 19 and not on view for the event on March 21.
- Entries are accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, assemblage, fabric, jewelry, ceramic, furniture, and glass.
- One entry per artist.
- All image files for the entry should be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format.
- All image files MUST be titled with the following format or they will not be considered: LastName_FirstName_title_height(inches)_x_width(inches).jpg
- Artists must provide a 30 word promotional statement to describe and sell the piece of artwork submitted. Statements should describe the specific process or a noteworthy story to be shared in the online Auction Artwork Catalogue and via social media. Help us promote you and your work by submitting a statement that is ready to publish.
- Artist must complete their online ArtSpan Artist Profile with images and contact information (ArtSpan will link to this information in all Auction promotions).
- ArtSpan reserves the right to use images of accepted artwork for promotional use online and in print for the Auction.
- Artwork must be READY TO HANG: framed, pre-assembled, with appropriate hardware (wire and d-rings). Artwork without hardware (wire/d-rings, sawtooth, etc) will not be accepted.
- Artwork must be labeled with the artist's name and the title of the piece.
- Artwork whose longest dimension (height or width) is under 40” will be prioritized.
- Artwork that has been donated previously
- Artwork that is not mounted professionally and ready to hang/display
- Artwork that is damaged
*ArtSpan reserves the right to decline artwork after drop off, if we feel it was not well represented in the jury image, is not ready to be professionally hung, is damaged, or for any other reason.*
- Selected artists will have the option to donate 100% of the artwork sale price to ArtSpan, or to receive 15% of the artwork sale price.
Artists may request bidder information from their artwork after the auction.
Renee Richardson, formerly of the KFOG morning show
Cynthia Farner, Collector
Kelsey Issel, Curator & Consultant, Kelsey Issel Co.
Julie Phelps, Creative & Executive Director, CounterPulse
Vince & Rachel Meyer, Gallerists, Avenue 12
Deborah Munk, Artist in Residence Program Manager, Recology
Thank you so much for submitting your work. We work hard to curate a diverse exhibition that is appropriately balanced in theme, color, style, medium and price. Every year we have to turn away some amazing work because of this difficult balancing act. We appreciate your understanding of this process in the event that your work is not selected.
ArtSpan is committed to cultivating a vibrant, accessible, and world-class art community in San Francisco and to promoting the city's unique creative energy locally and globally. We champion an inclusive art experience by providing hundreds of local artists with the equal opportunity to showcase their work and make direct connections to diverse audiences and patrons. We are guided by the belief that artists play a vital role in society and that broad public engagement with their work is essential to defining a new cultural environment for our changing city.
** You must sign in with your SUBMITTABLE account below. This may be different from your ArtSpan email and password. If you do not have a Submittable account you must create one to submit!
Ritual Coffee has been a pioneer in coffee consciousness since 2005, and started what some call a coffee revolution in San Francisco. The Ritual cafe on Valencia Street is a bustling venue with beautiful open wall space, high ceilings, exposed rafters for ceiling hung works, and plenty of natural light. Countless patrons of the Mission neighborhoods visit this trendy spot all day long.
You must be a current or new ArtSpan Artist Member to be featured in this exhibition.
Dates and Details:
- Location: Ritual Coffee, 1026 Valencia Street, SF, CA 94110
- Exhibition Dates: February 25th, 2020 - May 18th, 2020
- Submissions Deadline: February 2nd, 2020, 11:59pm
- Artwork Drop-off/Install Date: Tuesday, February 25th, 2020 @ 6:00pm
- Artist Reception: April 16, 2020 6:00-8:00 pm *This reception will be coupled with one of ArtSpan's Artist Mixers and will grant one exhibiting artist the opportunity to lead an art activation*
- Artwork Pick-up Date: May 18th, 2020, 6:00pm
- Seeking: Unique bodies of artwork. Two and three-dimensional works are welcome. Hanging sculpture and wall-mounted sculpture are encouraged. Large walls can accommodate very large work, and there is some possibility for site-specific installation.
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with the d-rings and hanging wire. Cleats and shark-tooth hanging hardware cannot be accommodated.
- Installation: ArtSpan's installation team will manage the install after artwork is dropped off. Artists with installation experience will be asked to volunteer.
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist receives 80% of total sales. ArtSpan receives 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan staff members in the safest and secure manner possible. All venue staff and patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
To Submit: Complete the following questionnaire and submit at least 5 artworks that are ready to hang, according to the instructions provided.
About the Art-in-Neighborhoods Program:
The Art-In-Neighborhoods program strives to create visibility and accessibility for local arts in San Francisco by connecting communities with local artists and activating vacant spaces with vibrant, locally-made artwork. We partner with local businesses and building owners to bring pop-up art exhibitions and art events to dormant storefronts, empty spaces for lease, and businesses seeking artwork for their walls. Local artists who are ArtSpan members are given the opportunity to display, promote and sell their artwork in these diverse venues. The Art-in-Neighborhoods program allow otherwise unused properties/spaces to become creative arenas for celebrating local arts.
ArtSpan is looking for artists** who would like to show their work in an exhibition at Cumaica Coffee from March 26th through June of 2020 (Final end date TBA).
**Exhibiting artists will receive a $200-300 stipend for showing their work in addition to 80% of any sales made.**
Submitted work will be considered for the below exhibition at Cumaica Coffee, 4726 Mission Street, SF, CA 94112 Thursday, March 26th - June of 2020
- Submissions Deadline: Sunday, February 23, 11:59pm
- Artwork Drop-off/Install Date: Thursday, March 26th, 11:00 am
- Artist Reception: Saturday, April 4th
- Artwork Pick-up Date: June 2020 (Final date TBA)
*You must be a current or new ArtSpan Artist Member living or working in the Excelsior neighborhood to be featured in this exhibition.
About the venue: Cumaica Coffee is a Nicaraguan coffee roastery and cafe with four location in San Francisco. Since 1993 they've dedicated themselves to roasting and delivering the freshest, most flavorful cup of coffee available in the bay area. They remain connected to their Nicaraguan roots by working with small plantations much like the one started by their family in the Matagalpa mountains during the 1960's. At this cozy location in the Excelsior they provide great coffee as well as nourishing snacks and meals that create a comfortable gathering place for their local community.
- Seeking: 2-D artwork of all sizes and mediums
- Hanging Hardware: All artwork must be ready to hang with d-rings + wire. No other hanging hardware is accepted.
- Installation: ArtSpan's installation team will manage the install after artwork is dropped off.
- Sales: All sales are processed through ArtSpan. Artist receives 80% of total sales. ArtSpan receives 20% of total sales.
- Security/Liability: Artwork will be installed professionally by ArtSpan staff members in the most safe and secure manner possible. All venue patrons are instructed to be respectful and mindful of the artwork at all times. The artwork will NOT be insured for damage/theft/vandalism by the venue nor by ArtSpan during the exhibition. Artists are advised to obtain their own insurance for their artwork.
To Submit: Complete the following questionnaire and submit at least 5 artworks that are ready to hang, according the the instructions provided.