CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: ArtSpan Studio Residency Program at xSpace:
In September of 2018, ArtSpan launched 3 artist studios on the commercial corridor at Mission Street and Geneva as part of our partnership with Youth Art Exchange (YAX) that has created this pop-up art space in the Excelsior neighborhood. The Studio Residency program offers a below market-rate studio space at the former site of Chuck's Market at 5137 Mission Street.
One Studio is now available.
Studio space is offered to artists who have an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange. xSpace resident artists are expected to contribute as cooperative members of the residency, and to communicate reliably with ArtSpan staff.
Please see below for residency details, requirements, and submission instructions.
If you have questions, or are interested in viewing the spaces, please email Lee@artspan.org.
WHERE: 5137 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA, 94112
WHAT: Studio Residency Spaces at xSpace
- Space: Individually divided space within an open floor plan on a commercial corridor (approximately 100 square feet each)
- Cost: $325/month
- Includes: Access to a small kitchenette and community meeting space.
- Includes: Opportunity to curate/show your work in addition to required participation in SF Open Studios
- ArtSpan reserves the right to terminate the contract as deemed necessary.
WHO: Current ArtSpan Artists ($50 annual membership).
The ideal candidates has an invested interest in working with the Excelsior community and sharing space with Youth Art Exchange (YAX).
Full Artist Requirements:
- Must be a current ArtSpan Artist Member ($50 annual)
- Must be pursuing artistic practice as a profession
- Must dedicate an average of 20 hours/week to work within the studio space
- Must be a responsible and collaborative member of the space and help to enforce the studio/building rules
- Will curate/participate in one show in the space coinciding with an ArtSpan event in the neighborhood
- Will Participate with SF Open Studios Fall 2020 ($80 Participating Artist Registration)
- Will host one workshop for YAX program participants as part of the Youth Open Studios Program.
HOW: Building/Studio Details and Rules:
- Artists must submit information for a background check.
- Artists MUST vacate the studio by the designated date written in the residency agreement. ArtSpan will impose a $10,000 monthly fine for overstaying the lease.
- Building access available to artists 24/7. Hours for non-tenant access 7am-10pm.
- Guests must be accompanied by a tenant at all times.
- No residing/living on premises.
- No furniture of any kind provided by ArtSpan. Studios are unfurnished.
- No subleasing.
- WiFi provided by Youth Art Exchange
- No space heaters, heating or cooking appliances allowed within individual units.
- Art Mediums: Must be minimal impact. The artists will strive to follow industry best practices wherever and whenever possible with the goal of ZERO impact on residents and the environment. Allowable materials and acceptable handling and disposal practices subject to change. Changes will be posted in general areas and distributed to individual studios as they occur.
- NO no photo fixatives, no resin, no fire, no encaustic, no aerosol, no sawing (large amounts of dust).
- Ideal for: Oil paint, acrylic paint, watercolor paint, drawing, assemblage, printmaking, pen & ink, digital media, clay.
- All material waste must be disposed of responsibly in the proper disposal receptacles on site, or removed from the studio site for proper disposal.
- 5 images of artwork similar to what you will be working on at the residency
- Artist Story/Appeal
- Artist bio/resume/CV, history as an artist
- How many years have you been an ArtSpan artist?
- Why are you seeking studios space with ArtSpan at xSpace?
- Is your work or practice community focused? Please explain.
- Do you have interest or experience working with or alongside youth artists?
- Why is creating in San Francisco important to you?
Artist Selection: A committee consisting of ArtSpan staff will review all applications. Artists who are admitted past the first round of reviews will be contacted for an in-person interview with ArtSpan staff.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
The ArtSpan Team