ArtSpan’s Juried Benefit Art Auction 2019
Entry Deadline: Thursday, February 7, 11:59 pm
Rolling Artist Notifications Begin: Monday, February 18
All Final Artist Notifications Received: Friday, February 22
Artwork Drop-off: Sunday, March 17, 12pm-4pm
VIP Preview Party : Thursday, March 21, 6:30–9pm
Auction Event: Saturday, March 23, 6:30-9pm
The 2019 Auction is a two-night affair!
THURSDAY, MARCH 21
VIP PREVIEW PARTY
An exclusive opportunity for our biggest supporters to preview the auction art, with plenty of time and plenty of room. Enjoy delicious drinks and food, and stimulating entertainment.
Select work will be available for VIP Buy-it-Now prices. Bid on special items only available to VIPs.
Ticket includes entry to Auction, and the ability to place proxy bids.
Limited to 100 guests.
SATURDAY, MARCH 23
ARTSPAN BENEFIT ART AUCTION
Join us for a festive and fast paced night to support art and artists in San Francisco.
This year's Auction will continue our fundraising efforts for the creation of ArtSpan’s Onondaga Art Center. We need to raise $1,000,000 to support the development and creation of this project, which will serve San Francisco artists and residents with art studios, a community meeting space, a classroom, a resource center, and a collaborative art gallery. Donating work to the auction marks your contribution to building a vibrant new arts hub to support artists like you living and working in the Bay Area.
After listening to feedback from last year’s record breaking auction, we have decided to split the event into a VIP Preview Party on Thursday, March 21, and the ArtSpan Juried Benefit Art Auction on Saturday, March 23, 2019. The VIP Preview Party will be an exclusive opportunity for high-level donors to preview the auction art and purchase select works at VIP Buy-it-Now prices and in a special live auction. The Benefit Art Auction will remain our most popular fundraiser with over 500 avid art collectors in attendance!
Together these events are a wonderful opportunity to showcase your artwork to prominent jurors in the art and design field, to new potential collectors, and to a vast range of art enthusiasts. Most of all, contributing your art is a meaningful way for you to support the work that ArtSpan does to cultivate connections within our creative community.
In addition to our capital campaign for the ArtSpan Onondaga Art Center, funds from these events serve all of ArtSpan’s year-round programming, including SF Open Studios, Youth Open Studios, community engagement activities, artist professional development workshops, artist networking events, Art-in-Neighborhoods exhibitions, and Art Curious collector education events.
- Selected artwork may be exhibited at one event or the other, or at both. Some work will be sold on March 21, and not on view March 23. These choices will be made by the auction curators. By submitting your work, you accept their decisions. All work will be featured and promoted online.
BENEFITS + TICKETS:
Artists whose work is selected will receive complimentary general admission to the Juried Benefit Art Auction on March 23 (1 ticket for the artist). Guests of artists must purchase tickets to the event (ticket sales launch mid-February). Artists who are selected for the Live Auction, or whose work is valued at $1,200 or more will receive two complimentary tickets to the Benefit Art Auction.
All selected artists will be recognized in the 2019 SF Open Studios Printed Guide, and at the SFOS 2019 Exhibition.
All selected artwork will be promoted with artist links in our social media campaigns.
Post-Auction Online Sales
Any artwork that remains unsold after the Benefit Art Auction will be available for sale online for the week following the auction.
ELIGIBILITY and TIPS:
- Open to all current ArtSpan Artist Members
- CLICK HERE to login and renew your membership
- CLICK HERE to join as a new member
- All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years
- Artwork minimum value is $300 (bidding will start at approximately 1/3 of the artwork value)
Although high valued artworks are encouraged, appropriately priced, medium-sized artworks will be preferred for selection by the jury.
- Entries are accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, assemblage, fabric, jewelry, ceramic, furniture, and glass.
- One entry per artist.
- All image files for the entry should be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format.
- All image files MUST be titled with the following format or they will not be considered for the live auction: LastName_FirstName_title_height (inches)_x_width(inches).jpg
- Artists must provide a 30 word promotional statement to describe and sell the piece of artwork submitted. Statements should describe the specific process or a noteworthy story to be shared in the online Auction Artwork Catalogue and via social media. Help us promote you and your work by submitting a statement that is ready to publish.
- Artist must complete their online ArtSpan Artist Profile with images and contact information (ArtSpan will link to this information in all Auction promotions).
- ArtSpan reserves the right to use images of accepted artwork for promotional use online and in print for the Auction.
- Artwork must be READY TO HANG: framed, pre-assembled, with appropriate hardware (wire and d-rings).
- Artwork must be labeled with the artist's name and the title of the piece.
- Artwork whose longest dimension (height or width) is under 40” will be prioritized.
- Artwork that has been donated previously
- Artwork that is not mounted professionally and ready to hang/display
- Artwork that is damaged
*ArtSpan reserves the right to decline artwork after drop off, if we feel it was not well represented in the jury image, is not ready to be professionally hung, is damaged, or for any other reason.*
- Selected artists will have the option to donate 100% of the artwork sale price to ArtSpan, or to receive 15% of the artwork sale price.
- Artists may request bidder information from their artwork after the auction.
Renee Richardson, formerly of the KFOG morning show
Jeremy Joven, Editor-in-Chief, The New Asterisk
Cynthia Farner, Board Member, ArtSpan
Phillip Bewley, Curator + Fine Art Advisor, DZINE Gallery
Jennifer Meye, Owner, Local Take
PLUS More Local Art Luminaries To be Announced!
Thank you so much for submitting your work. We work hard to curate a diverse exhibition that is appropriately balanced in theme, color, style, medium and price. Every year we have to turn away some amazing work because of this difficult balancing act. We appreciate your understanding of this process in the event that your work is not selected.
ArtSpan is committed to cultivating a vibrant, accessible, and world-class art community in San Francisco and to promoting the city's unique creative energy locally and globally. We champion an inclusive art experience by providing hundreds of local artists with the equal opportunity to showcase their work and make direct connections to diverse audiences and patrons. We are guided by the belief that artists play a vital role in society and that broad public engagement with their work is essential to defining a new cultural environment for our changing city.