ArtSpan’s 50th Anniversary Juried Benefit Art Auction 2024
Call Opens: Friday, February 2, 2024
Deadline to Apply: Sunday, March 24 @ 11:59PM
Artist Notifications Begin: Week of Monday, April 15
Artwork Drop-off: Sunday, May 12 & Monday, May 13 @ Heron Arts*
*Selected artwork will be received in-person during specific drop-off windows that must be reserved in advance. By submitting to this call, you agree to dropping your work off in-person on the arranged date. Early drop-off is not possible. Once your artwork has been selected, you will receive details and instructions.
Private VIP Preview: Thursday, May 16
The Auction: Friday, May 17
Artwork Pick-up: Saturday, May 18*
*All unsold auction art must be picked up from Heron Arts on May 18. ArtSpan & Heron Arts do not have storage available. Once your artwork is selected, you will receive details and instructions related to drop-off and pick-up and must be available to retrieve your work (or arrange for someone else to do so) if it does not sell at the Auction.
Kevin B. Chen, Curator at Fine Arts Gallery, San Francisco State University
Renée DeCarlo, Artist & Founder of The Drawing Room SF
Karen M. Gutfreund, Curator, Consultant, Artist
Janna Keegan, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art and Programming at Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
Tova Lobatz, Gallery Director at Heron Arts
Michelle Mansour, Executive Director of Root Division
Owen Christoph, Artist Liaison at Jessica Silverman Gallery
Shiva Pakdel, Executive Director of Sausalito Center for the Arts
Andrea Schwartz, President of Andrea Schwartz Gallery
Meg Shiffler, Director of Artist Space Trust
ArtSpan's 50th Anniversary Juried Benefit Art Auction is a multifaceted affair featuring a juried collection of 100 works of art presented in-person, plus an additional online-only collection of biddable works.
The Auction will incorporate
- A stunning 100-piece Auction Collection installed at Heron Arts gallery
- Two energetic in-person events with mobile bidding:
- May 16 - VIP Preview
- May 17 - General Auction Night → all artworks to be sold!
- Two LIVE in-person auction paddle-raises—a different grouping each night
- A separate collection of 30-40 online-only pieces
- Bidding for the online-only auction runs until Sunday, May 19
- Inclusion in the extended online bidding if your artwork does not sell at the in-person events
Two nights of in-person Silent Auction mobile bidding and live auction paddle-raises—a different grouping each night—plus an online-only auction that continues through the weekend.
Our 2024 Auction is a dynamic event honoring ArtSpan’s 50 years of championing San Francisco Bay Area art and artists! In addition to supporting ArtSpan’s year-round programming, Auction funds will springboard exciting golden anniversary celebrations throughout the city of San Francisco.
ArtSpan’s Juried Benefit Art Auction is a wonderful opportunity to showcase your art to prominent jurors in the art and design field, to new potential collectors, and to a vast range of art enthusiasts. Most of all, contributing your art is a meaningful way for you to support the work that ArtSpan does to cultivate connections within our creative community.
ArtSpan’s Auction Juror panel of local arts, culture, and design professionals will curate a collection of 100 artworks to be hung within the exhibition space at Heron Arts.
ArtSpan will also be accepting between 30 to 40 artworks to be auctioned as online-only pieces. These additional works will not be physically installed within the exhibition space and will solely be hosted online. To foster further connection with buyers, it will be the artist’s responsibility to schedule a time with the winning bidder to visit their studio and pick up their purchase directly from them.
Artworks showcased in the 100-piece Auction collection at Heron Arts that do not sell during the two in-person events, will automatically be added into the online auction that concludes on Sunday, May 19. This offers bidders the extended opportunity to further engage with and vie for your work.*
Bidding will officially begin the evening of Thursday, May 16 at the VIP Preview. The VIP Preview is limited to ArtSpan Benefactors & ArtLovers at Enthusiasts level and above, major donors, and ticket purchasers. Exhibiting Auction artists will receive one (1) complimentary admission to attend the main Auction event on Friday, May 17. Artists selected for the LIVE auction during the VIP Preview, will receive complimentary admission to the VIP event.
*In the application, you will have the option to opt out if you do not wish to participate in extended online bidding. We encourage artists to participate in the extended online auction to keep the bidding going and have the opportunity to meet their patrons! Please note that you will still be required to retrieve your unsold work on Saturday, May 18 and, should you work sell online during the extended bidding period, you will need to make arrangements directly with the winning bidder to pick up the work from you.
- The Auction will center around two, in-person nights with a VIP Preview, on May 16, followed by the main Auction on May 17, 2024
- All work will be featured and promoted online and on our auction-specific website
- ALL Auction artwork will include buy-it-now pricing
- Each event will have cash & carry for winning bidders
- A selection of artwork will be auctioned as LIVE lots during the in-person events with a different grouping each night. As such, your art may be sold prior to the main Auction event on Friday, May 17. By submitting your work, you accept that your art may be sold to a VIP & absent from the exhibition by Friday, May 17.
- Artists with work selected for the LIVE auction during the VIP Preview, will receive one (1) complimentary admission to the VIP event.
- ALL unsold artwork at Heron Arts must be picked up on Saturday, May 18
- Artists participating in the online-only auction are responsible for coordinating pickup with their winning bidder.
- Meet your patron! Artists whose work sells during online bidding will coordinate pickup directly with their winning bidder. Your contact information will be shared with the winning bidder at the time lots close so they may contact you to arrange pickup. This is a great time to share other works of art and your studio to a new patron.
- In the case that artwork exhibited at Heron Arts does not sell by the event's end on Friday, May 17, the artwork will be rolled into the extended online auction which will continue through Sunday, May 19, 2024.
- All selected Auction artwork must be retained until bidding concludes on Sunday, May 19 (i.e. if your piece is selected for the Auction, it cannot be listed elsewhere for sale nor can it be sold prior to the event’s conclusion)
- Online bidding will run from May 16 through May 19, 2024
- It is possible that some collectors will only see your work online, as such, we require you to upload the best quality image of your donated artwork when submitting your application.
All selected artists will be recognized in the 2024 Golden 50th Anniversary SF Open Studios Printed Guide.
All selected artists will be included in our robust promotional campaigns.
Artists will receive bidder information from their sold artwork after the Auction.
100 Auction Artists will have their work exhibited for in-person viewing as part of our Auction event.
10 Auction Artists will have their work sold in a live paddle-raise in-person auction.
All artist applicants will have their work seen by local art-world luminaries who jury the work for inclusion consideration.
Your contribution as an Auction Artist directly supports ArtSpan’s programs, and has a positive impact on our local art community.
ELIGIBILITY & TIPS:
- Open to all current ArtSpan Artist Members
- All entries must be original and created within the past 3 years
- Entries older than 3 years will be automatically disqualified and not go before the juror panel
- Artwork minimum value is $500 (bidding will start at approximately 1/3 of the artwork value)
- It is essential that you provide a high-quality image of your work as it will represent your piece to the Auction Jurors. We recommend a JPEG that is minimally 2000 pixels wide
- We encourage artwork donations that do not exceed dimensions of 30” on the longest side*
*IF YOUR PIECE IS FRAMED, the provided artwork dimensions should include the frame
- We have extremely limited space for donations larger than 40"*
*IF YOUR PIECE IS FRAMED, the provided artwork dimensions should include the frame
- Artists valuing work over $3,000 should have a verifiable sales record and should be insured by the artist
- We encourage submitting your strongest work and welcome high-value contributions.We encourage submitting your strongest work, and welcome high-value contributions.
- Entries are accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, assemblage, fabric, jewelry, ceramic, furniture, and glass.
- One entry per artist.
- All image files for the entry must be submitted as a JPEG that is minimally 2000 pixels wide.
- All image files MUST be titled with the following format or they will not be considered: LastName_FirstName_title_height(inches)_x_width(inches).jpg
- IF YOUR PIECE IS FRAMED, the provided artwork dimensions should include the frame.
- Artists must provide a 30 word promotional statement to describe and sell the piece of artwork submitted. Statements should describe the specific process or a noteworthy story to be shared online and via social media. Help us promote you and your work by submitting a statement that is ready to publish. ArtSpan may edit your statement for clarity.
- Artists must complete their online ArtSpan Artist Profile with images and contact information (ArtSpan will link to this information in all Auction promotions).
- ArtSpan reserves the right to use images of accepted artwork for promotional use online and in print for the Auction.
- Artwork must be READY TO HANG: framed, pre-assembled, with appropriate hardware (wire and d-rings). Artwork without hardware will not be accepted.
- Sawtooths are not considered “ready to hang” and will be rejected at the time of drop-off. PLEASE PROPERLY WIRE YOUR PIECES.
- Artwork that is damaged or unfinished will NOT be accepted into the Auction at the time of drop-off. Including, but not limited to: chipped frames, scratched glass, wet paint, etc.
- By submitting to this call, you agree to bring the juror-approved artwork. Misrepresented artwork will not be accepted into the Auction and will be declined at the time of drop-off.
- Artwork must be labeled with the artist's name and the title of the piece.
- Artwork whose longest dimension (height or width) 30” or less, will be prioritized.
- Artwork that is not mounted professionally and ready to hang/display
- Artwork that is damaged (including damaged frames)
- Artwork that has been modified or swapped out from the original submission
*ArtSpan reserves the right to decline artwork after drop off, if we feel it was not well represented in the jury image, is not ready to be professionally hung, is damaged, or for any other reason.
- Selected artists will have the option to donate 100% of the artwork sale price to ArtSpan, or to receive 15% of the artwork sale price.
- Artists will receive bidder information from their sale after the auction.
ArtSpan is committed to cultivating a vibrant, accessible, and world-class art community in San Francisco and to promoting the city's unique creative energy locally and globally. We champion an inclusive art experience by providing hundreds of local artists with the equal opportunity to showcase their work and make direct connections to diverse audiences and patrons. We are guided by the belief that artists play a vital role in society and that broad public engagement with their work is essential to defining a new cultural environment for our changing city.
** You must sign in with your SUBMITTABLE account below. This may be different from your ArtSpan email and password. If you do not have a Submittable account you must create one to submit!
• • •
Thank you so much for submitting your work. Our Auction Jurors work hard to curate a diverse exhibition that is appropriately balanced in theme, color, style, medium and price. Every year we have to turn away some amazing work because of this difficult balancing act. We appreciate your understanding of this process in the event that your work is not selected.